Friday, July 9, 2010

No Title For the King

Here's a scenario that I hope comes true: LeBron never wins a championship. I assert this without prejudice. For instance, I have no rooting interest in any of the teams involved or even in the NBA, generally. The NBA generates hype but little else. We do live in the world of hype over substance, so he simply follows along, I suppose.

The irony would too delicious if LeBron, after all the look-at-me- and I-am-the-most-important-human-on-the-planet media attention, simply played in every All-Star game, but fails to win a championship. If after all the lame and vacuous ESPN media attention, he bricks the final shot in a game-clinching game, justice would be served. In fact, if there is such a thing as karma and I know many believe that to be the case, this is exactly what should happen. Let me explain.

The hype and absurd attention provided to his "decision" moves well beyond reasonable and interested to the theater of the absurd. Indeed, Harold Pinter may write a play about the entire it eoiside. For starters, why does he generate this attention? After all, the only time he made it to the finals, he sucked. His team could not even win a game. And did you see his amazing play in this year's series against the Celtics? He sucked balls instead of scoring them. So why are folks concomitantly apoplectic and disconsolate? He is not a difference maker; at least not as the championship is concerned. Second, other NBA players were able to make their free agent decision without a stupid special. Just announce it. Why all the hype? Oh, that's right, I forgot, we are all-hype-and-no-substance society. I hate that, but I am one of the few.

BTW: he did not look comfortable or even excited during the "announcement." It was entirely ridiculous as he sat there and regurgitated whatever "canned" responses he and his team rehearsed. Clinched teeth, a nervous smile, and the decision came. A bit anti-climatic. The whole interview/special dripped with tension and nervousness. like a thief in a prep line-up. It made for terrible TV.

A person, who, for most of his life, been given everything with bells and whistles on it, I think it's right, cosmically, that he never win. He is rich and "loved," or at least admired by millions, I suppose. So his life is not terrible. The only thing he deserves, frankly, is the hype he with alacrity generates and uncomfortably participates in.

No comments:

Post a Comment