Friday, June 11, 2010

ESPN Can't Trick Me Into Caring About the World Cup

ESPN and other corporate interests can try to convince me to pay attention to the World Cup, but it won't happen for this sports-minded American. Even with the rage against BP(I say seize the company), I still won't be interested in the outcome of the USA v. England game. Indeed, the US could lose or win every World Cup game, and I still would not be interested. But, boy oh boy, do corporate interests try to convince us that we should care. "It's the most popular sport on the planet," is often the fallacious bandwagon appeal these interests make. "Yes," I say that may be true, but so what--it's also the most boring. I can no more watch a soccer game than I could watch old people watch Wheel Of Fortune. Boring and more boring.

So go on spend and spend some more to convince me that the World Cup matters, that I should be interested, that I should join the rest of the world and give a shit by painting my face and chanting sing-alongs and assaulting my rival countries fans. I won't, I can't care. Please give me something worthwhile, like real football, American Style, then I will pay attention.

By the way, did you see the Rachel Nichols report today--terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment